The international airport of Chennai is located merely at the distance of seven kilometer towards the southern region of metropolis. Chennai Airport is considered as the 3rd largest and busiest international airport in India after Delhi and Mumbai airports. The initial terminal of the airport was established at Meenambakkam, because of which it was renowned as “Meenambakkam Airport. Now the new terminal is located at Pallavaram which accommodates the entire passenger traffic.
Description of passenger terminal
The passenger terminal complex situated at Pallavaram has two major terminals including domestic and international and both are connected through link building which has a restaurant as well as administrative offices. The international terminal is known as Anna Terminal and domestic one is popular with the name Kamaraj Terminal. The internal airport of Chennai operates flights to almost all big metropolises of India and connects the city with other countries as well as cities through a well-built air network. Major facilities provided for the utmost convenience of passengers by airport’s authorities include:
- Reserved Executive lounge/lounge
- Free telephone services in security holding area
- Special assistance services from handicapped passengers
- IAD assistance counter
- Rest places, reserved parking, toilers and PCOs
- Medical facility (which is absolutely free)
- Entertainment televisions
- Auto vending for magazines, newspapers and snacks
- The facility of health scan at domestic terminal
- Infant lobby
- City coach center
- Information center for Tourists
- Railway booking center
- Foreign currency exchange counters at arrival/departure side
- Communication center facilitating e-mail, video phone, internet browsing and conference
- Lift facility
- Book stalls, visitor requisite shop and other gift shops
- ISD/STD facilities
- The airport has been declared as ‘no smoking zone”.
- The counters of Indian bank/ICICI ATM at domestic terminal
Transport means and public bus service
The airport is well linked to other major cities of India. You can reach at city center easily by hailing prepaid taxi from arrival terminal. Most notably, the fares of metered taxis are completely different from international as well as domestic terminals; however around 300 rupees will cost to Egmore. However, you can also take the maximum advantage from metropolitan Transport Corporation buses which are readily available to take you to major sightseeing places of the city.
Also, there are couple of deluxe hotels situated merely at the distance of around three km from Chennai airport like Hotel Mars and Radisson Hotel.