Delhi Airport is known as the 2nd busiest international airport of India and is estimated to develop to become the busiest one by the year of 2010. At present, this airport is handling around twenty million passengers per year. The renovation of the airport is almost complete with enhanced immigration, check in and baggage screen. In the year of 2009, a new terminal has been made operational and reconstruction work on 3rd terminal is going on.
Also known as Indira Gandhi international airport, it is located at Palam which is at the distance of ten miles from the southern part of city. It takes around forty five minutes to reach at city center from airport; however the road remains more congested during crest hours. From 1st March, 2009 onwards, it has been made obligatory for all departing international visitors as well as domestic passengers to pay around 1,300 rupees or twenty eight dollars and 200 rupees respectively as airport development fee.
Different terminals of Delhi Airport
- Terminal 1A: Domestic departures of Kingfisher and air India airlines
- Terminal 1B: Domestic departures of all remaining airlines like Jetlite and Jet, Spice Jet, Go Air, IndiGo and kingfisher Red.
- Terminal1 C: All domestic arrivals
- Terminal 2: All international arrivals and departures
The international and domestic terminals are situated just 5 km away from each other and are linked by free public transfer buses. These public buses leave almost after every thirty minutes to 1 hour, and take around fifteen to twenty minutes to reach at the destination.
- You can have maximum advantage of wireless internet connectivity from Airtel Counter situated in Security holding region of Terminal number two. However, in domestic terminal, this service is not provided.
- Because of security threats, the facilities of luggage storage have been stopped at Delhi airport.
- The visitors with special requirements like wheelchairs are provided with bathrooms, ramps and parking slots. Attendants and wheelchairs are made available online inside of terminals.
- ATMs and currency exchange offices are also situated inside terminals.
The best way to reach your destination from airport is by hiring any prepaid taxi. You will get a counter in international as well as domestic terminal as you move towards the exit of airport. The fare of prepaid taxi to Paharganj is 250 rupees and less than it for Connaught Place.
Moreover, you can also take the services of public buses in order to reach at your destination in Delhi. Various hotels will also provide you the facility of picking you up right from the airport for 500 to 700 rupees.