Borjhar Airport GAU
Formerly known as Borjhar Airport, Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport is located in Guwahati city of Assam in India. This airport is operating under the Airports Authority of India. It is being used both for commercial flights and as a military airbase.
Historically, this airport was named after a freedom fighter, Gopinath Bordoloi, who was the first Chief Minister of Assam after they got independence. The airport has been in a continuous process of renovation since then. There are still some operational and cosmetic renovations in progress; this upgrading process is expected to be completed by the end of 2010.
The building of the terminal is nice, shiny, and welcoming from the outside. There are two gates for domestic and international travellers each. The facilities available at the terminal are free baggage trolleys, wheelchairs, medical aid, lost and found baggage corner, and complimentary assistance for physically and mentally challenged individuals. The recreational facilities available at the terminal are bookstalls, handloom handicraft stalls, snack bars, jewellery shops, florists, cyber café, and PCO/STDs are also located at the airport. The ongoing development process of the terminal is also focusing upon making business centres, and childcare rooms.
The reason why this airport has been given the status of an international airport is that it operates flights to Bangkok (twice a week). It also acts as a major hub for flights to Seven Sisters of Northeast India. These ‘Seven Sisters’ are basically the neighbouring states of Northeastern India, which include Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Tripura, and Nagaland.
There are eight airlines (and in addition, one helicopter service, and one charter plane service) that are operating at Borjhar Airport. The regions that the individual airlines fly over to are as follows:
1. Air India Regional: Delhi, Aizawl, Dimapur, Dibrugarh, Tezpur, Silchar, Lilabari, Imphal, Kolkata, and Jorhat
2. Indian Airlines: Kolkata, Imphal, Bagdogra, and Delhi
3. GoAir: Mumbai, Bagdogra, and Delhi
4. IndiGo: Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Delhi, Imphal, and Jaipur
5. Jet Airways: Mumbai, Agartala, Bagdogra, Delhi, and Kolkata
6. JetLite: Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Jorhat, Imphal, and Dibrugarh
7. Kingfisher Airlines - Same as Indian Airlines
8. Pawan Hans Helicopter Services: Tura, Itanagar, Shillong, Tawang, and Tura
9. SpiceJet: Mumbai, Agartala, Kolkata, Ahmadabad, Delhi, Bagdogra, and Bangalore.
10. Paramount - Jets also offer charter plane services at this airport.
Last year, the passenger traffic was 531,552 and there was a movement of 5,148 aircrafts to this airport.
The runway of the airport is 3,110 metres long and is made of asphalt. The authorities are further extending the airway to accommodate more A380s and Jet planes on the terminal. The airport is equipped with landing aid, navigational aid, and surveillance systems. In case of any aircraft emergencies, first aid teams are available along with a fully functional fire service ambulance.
The airport has a parking capacity of 14,200 m2 and can accommodate 300 cars at a time. The ground transport services at this airport include inter terminus bus services, city bus services, General Taxi Services, Pre-paid Taxi Services and the Car rental services. Some of the car rental companies operating here are Budget Car Hire, Dollar Car Hire, National Car Hire, Advantage Car Hire, Hertz Car Hire Services, and Alamo Car Hire services.
The five hotels nearest to the airport are as follows:
1. Hotel Bluemoon: It is located in Uzan bazaar, 15 km away from the airport.
2. Hotel Nova: It is located on S.S. Road, Fancy Bazaar, 16 km away from the airport.
3. Hotel Ritu Raj: It is located in Mackhowa, 17 Km away from the airport.
4. Kuber International: It is located on H.B. Road, 18 km away from the airport.
5. Hotel Starline: It is located in Paltan Bazaar, 19 Km from the airport.
Borjhar Airport that is 20 Km Southwest of the Guwahati Centre offers a tight security. Before your entrance, a full body check up is done at the terminal; this is the reason why passengers are quite satisfied with the safety, and security in the premises of the airport.